Review: Through the Veil by Colleen Halverson

Through the Veil
Author: Colleen Halverson
Series: Aisling Chronicles #1
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, New Adult
Release Date: February 22th 2016
Publisher: Entangled
Elizabeth Tanner is no Tinkerbell, and her life is no fairy tale. Broke and drowning in student loans, the one thing she wants more than anything is a scholarship from the Trinity Foundation. But after the ancient Irish text she's studying turns out to be more than just a book, she becomes their prisoner instead. And when Trinity reveals Elizabeth is half-Fae, she finds herself at the center of a plot to save the magical races of Ireland from a brutal civil war.

As Commander of Trinity's elite warriors, Finn O'Connell isn't used to having his authority challenged. He doesn't know whether to punish or protect the infuriating young woman in his custody. When he discovers the Dark Fae want to use Elizabeth's abilities to control the source of all power in the universe, he'll risk everything to help her.

At the mercy of Trinity and enslaved to the Dark Fae, Elizabeth finds herself alone on the wrong side of an Irish myth thousands of years in the making. Refusing to be a pawn in their game, Elizabeth has to fight her way back to the man she loves, but to do so, she must wage her own war against the magic that binds her.

This book is a standalone novel in a series of standalones.

Review


Elizabeth Tanner is a student who enjoys deciphering long forgotten ancient texts, she’s applied for a once in a lifetime scholarship that will make her dreams come true; going to Ireland and learning more about the rich Irish folklore. However when one of her books starts to change and come to life, Elizabeth is thrown into a world filled with dangerous faerie politics, ruthless royalty and she may just discover some shocking secrets about her past.

            Through the Veil evolves around The Book of Arranmore; this old manuscript holds the answers to the entire Fae world and powerful secrets that will help the Dark Fae control the weak, slaughter the innocent and win an on-going war. There’s no denying that Halverson has done her homework with Through the Veil, from the very beginning you are thrown into a rich world steeped in folklore and magic. While this was fascinating to read about, I found myself on the wrong end of some info-dumping, the pacing slowed down too much and I struggled with the Irish mythology.

Elizabeth was an interesting protagonist, I loved that she was already an independent and self-sufficient woman. It was a breath of fresh of air to not have to watch her grow into something better; she was already a feisty but well rounded character. However I felt that the romance somehow lessened her, or maybe it was the relationship between the two, either way the constant back and forth was not making me love her more.

            The romance was all-wild and lust driven in the beginning and as much as I loved these steamy moments between Elizabeth and Finn, I don’t fully ship them just yet. I suppose this will take time as there wasn’t many moments that were perfect for romance to bloom, understandably given their surroundings so I’m hoping book two will have me cheerleading for them to make it.

Overall Through the Veil is a great debut and start to a brand new fantasy series. Lovers of complex plots, rich setting’s and tricky characters and relationships will enjoy this.

Share This:

6 comments:

  1. This sounds similar to the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. Ireland, book, and fae. Definitely sounds somewhat familiar. I would definitely try this one though since that series pissed me off after book 5. Great review and thanks for putting this on my radar! :)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Fever series but it did appear on my GR feed the other day and I was having a nose. Ohh no around book 5? It sucks then a series gets worse and not better. Thanks Erin, I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds absolutely amazing! I love how her book starts to come to life, literally! Oh and it takes place in Ireland! I hope the romance develops more in the next book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds really cool and kinda scary, I would freak out if one of my books came to life haha. I loved the Irish setting, oh me too thanks so much Miranda :D

      Delete
  3. I've seen this book around and I've been deliberating between adding to my TBR or not! I'm still on the fence, but I think I'll let it remain undetermined a little longer since I'm trying to cleave through my TBR. And, of course, it since my entire TBR is on hold due to a certain fantastic series someone introduced me to titled Steel and Stone ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely get where you're coming from, the only reason I took the plunge with this series was the 'Fae' influence but I think we may read too many epic fantasies because this one wasn't up to par which is a shame. But I suppose that's why we have our favourites right? because others can't compare :P
      STEEL & STONE - ahhhh, utter utter perfection ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...